How To Apply for Vietnam work permit for foreigners 2023
Vietnam has become a promising alternative for businesses in Asia. It is a social republic and a one-party state, which has allowed for political and government stability that provides strategic direction for the business environment allowing businesses to thrive.
An attractive working destination for foreign nationals as it offers a wide range of job opportunities, flexible working hours across industries, and a low cost of living. To maintain the country's high attraction to international investors, the Vietnamese authorities and government provide several investment-related business advantages such as corporate income tax incentives, reduction/exemption of import duties/tax or levies on imported products, and land/rent levies which are constantly improving through government reforms.
Vietnam work permit requirements
- Foreign workers must have a sponsor company in Vietnam that meets the eligibility criteria for the work permit process.
- The sponsoring company must provide all valid JPA (job position approval) of all ex-pats working and ensure that the foreign employee experience is aligned/related to the role in Vietnam.
- An application must be submitted online, and the sponsoring company must register for a public service account with a digital signature I-CA Token. After the registration has been done, the company can then authorize a third party to use the I-CA token to submit the application.
- Before leaving or end of employment, foreign employees should return the permit to their employer as the Work Permit needs to be cancelled with the assistance of the Department of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs It is the employer’s responsibility to submit the permit with a notification letter to the local office of the Labor Department.
Nuances of obtaining a work permit in Vietnam
Foreigners who entered Vietnam on one visa, for example, a tourist visa, and then wished to transition to a work visa, would need to leave the country and re-enter with the appropriate visa.
Submission of application (original documents) may require a representative of the sponsor company to accompany a third party to the Immigration Department.
Under the new Labor Code 2019 that took effect in 2021, work permits are issued for a period of up to two years and restricted to only one renewal. Vietnam work permits are used to apply for a temporary residence card or a working visa in Vietnam.
Different jurisdictions in each city
The Labor Department in each area (City, High Tech Zone, Industrial Zone) will apply different regulations. Example: WP extension doesn’t require legalized university degree and working experience in city and industrial zone but High Tech Zone
Challenges in obtaining a Vietnam work permit for foreign employees
Foreign workers must have a sponsor company in Vietnam for the work permit process. The work permit for a foreign employee requires a relevant bachelor’s degree or above and a certificate of work experience, which are in alignment with the expected position in Vietnam. Though the above seems to be simple to understand and follow, yet many foreigners have failed to get their work permits due to the non-matching of their available documents and expected work permit job position making the work permit application in Vietnam a long and complicated process.
As such, the first step towards a successful Vietnam work permit application is getting an evaluation for your case.
Benefits of a work permit service in Vietnam to Foreign workers and Businesses
- Due to its geographic proximity, lower wages, skilled labor, trade agreements, and regional connectivity, Vietnam has emerged as one of the most preferred alternatives for businesses.
- Foreign employees who are living and working in Vietnam for an extended period can consider applying for a renewable 10-year permanent residence (PR) card. With a (PR) residency status, one can enjoy the benefits of exiting and entering Vietnam without a visa, purchase properties, and sponsor family members to visit Vietnam.
- Having citizenship or residency in Vietnam is quite favorable to corporations set up in East Asia. Travel to ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) countries like Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos, Myanmar (or Burma), Brunei, Indonesia, and the Philippines without a visa is made easier for those who hold a Vietnamese passport.
- Companies who have settled in Vietnam are able to build up their experience and financial resources on the domestic market, finding it easier to enter the regional and global markets.
We have the local knowledge to help you navigate all these processes. Whether you want to set up in Vietnam or streamline your hiring operations in Vietnam, contact us for guidance, support, and expert advice, or register for Centuro Connect now to discover more information that will simplify the process of obtaining work permits in Vietnam.